“Deadpool 2” ticket sales, “Baskets” gets Season 4, Hotstar breaks streaming record
This week’s recap of news about 21st Century Fox and its businesses includes a big opening weekend for “Deadpool 2,” strong ratings for the season finale of “Empire,” another season for FX’s “Baskets” and more.
- ‘Deadpool 2’ gins up $301 million in global ticket sales (The New York Times)
- ‘Deadpool 2’ swinging in as second-best opening for R-rated pic with $125M (Deadline)
- FOX and WWE close to massive five-year, $1 billion deal for ‘SmackDown’ (The Hollywood Reporter)
- TV ratings: ‘Empire’ edges ‘Survivor’ in finale race (The Hollywood Reporter)
- ‘Baskets’ renewed by FX for Season 4 (Variety)
- Fox dates ‘The Hate U Give’ movie for awards-season release (Variety)
- FOX Sports pulling out all the technology stops for the FIFA World Cup (Forbes)
- Hotstar notches up concurrent viewing world record of 8.26 million (Indiantelevision.com)
- Hotstar likely to close IPL season with 60-70% rise in ad revenue (The Financial Express)
- With regional content, Star India puts it big at IPL (Business Line)
- More news doesn’t curb Fox syndie appetite (TVNewsCheck)
Enjoy the weekend!